Neverwinter's History of the Dungeon Loot System

Want to give Feedback on our blog-work or contribute yourself? Get started here!
j0Shi
Site Admin

Neverwinter's History of the Dungeon Loot System

Postby j0Shi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 15:23

"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

j0Shi
Site Admin

Re: Neverwinter's History of the Dungeon Loot System

Postby j0Shi » Mon Nov 13, 2017 15:23

Shout-out to Putz by the way for the initial idea to write about this :)
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

PutzBoy78
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: Neverwinter's History of the Dungeon Loot System

Postby PutzBoy78 » Mon Nov 13, 2017 18:42

Sorry Joshi, i flaked out and never actually wrote it. note to all, don't count on putz, lol

Part of the problems with the initial system was that non-BIS gear was essentially worthless and BIS gear still cost a fortune. You were looking at 100K+ for a BIS item (which was a lot back then). The good news was the chance to get the BIS item from the final chest was about 10%, so reasonable expectation. So getting all epics was easy, getting the right epics was not so easy but manageable (with the exceptions of the high end weapons which were gated behind content that felt like you needed the gear you were farming in order to finish the dungeon it was gated behind... unless you had high level enchants). In contrast to the current system where +5 rings and legendary marks seems unrealistic to farm. The salvage system benefited those who could access and run lower level dungeons but hurt the ad potential for those capable of running high end content like CN and epic dreadvault.

There was AD from dungeons in early days, but it was very limited and came in the form of a quest from Rhix to run normal dreadvault every day (no other dungeon qualified).

I believe it was IWD when the campaign chests were introduced to MC, VT, and KR. I'm not sure on that, but I don't remember farming those keys before mod 3 but I'm pretty certain it began with KR and was a a pain back then as IWD was very difficult in the early days of black ice damage.

I would call out that in module 5 this was the first time BIS gear didn't drop from game play or in dungeon (you made the weapons via the campaign). This was made worse in module 6 when BIS gear was procured from seals instead of dropping in game. You literally farmed seals from dungeons to buy gear making the system similar to PVP gear and boss 1/2 runs became the norm to farm seals. You see this same system in module 12 btw as the seals of the brave.

I sorely miss DD, it was great for bringing community and friends together. We used Kakoo to message guild members and let them know when to come online for DD. The entire server ran dungeons at the same time, so you were never short of people to play with at those times (instead of spreading the community out across all hours). Yes we wanted to be able to have freedom on when to run dungeons but I think this is one of those "be careful what you wished for". When the dual system was first introduced, i knew DD was going to be taken away eventually. It was to convenient to turn our favorite activity into a 0 sum game, buying a key to get loot barely worth the cost of the key. So sad