NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

In the spirit of discussing what shall now be discussed, discuss! Share your absurd, funny or even lauding stories about the PWE support/moderation, we're sure you have some! Direct quotes of messages are absolutely allowed.
Took
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 12:19
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter
Preferred Gametype: PVE

NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by Took »

Objective:
Capture objective data on player/customer perception of the NW Forum moderator roles and performance. Aggregate results (without respondent identifiers) will be posted here and shared with the Cryptic community manager 14 days from this post.

Method:
10 mixed Likert Scale/MC questions.
Only one response will be retained per associated active NW account/IP address/device.
Account name will be used for inclusion criteria only. This info will be deleted before the analysis phase.

Please follow this link to the survey:
https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/TX56RJY

Please share this link with all active players in-game, in alliances and in-guild.

The more players who respond, the more accurate the results and more likely that Cryptic will listen to our feedback.
Thanks.

User avatar
j0Shi
Site Admin
Posts: 2161
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 16:25
Gender: male

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by j0Shi »

Like the idea, but having to include your account name might turn some folks off.
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

Took
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 12:19
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by Took »

j0Shi wrote:Like the idea, but having to include your account name might turn some folks off.
Thats is true, J0shi.

But the legitimacy offered by an identity/IP address/decice-certified survey from an un-biased "neutral" survey company is well worth the reduction in "n" value.

We plan to present this directly to Cryptic/PWE management as objective customer satisfaction data.
The more strict the controls, the more likely they are to read it.

It cannot come directly from UN (no offense) or any source that does not confirm authenticity.
It cannot be filled with anonymous troll rants.
Done correctly, they WILL read this.

This is not a perfect solution, but it is a first step.
No one willingly gives up power. "The people" must take it for themselves.

Edit PWE/Cryptic

Gemmed Exquisite
Posts: 134
Joined: Sat Sep 19, 2015 19:40
Gender: male
Favorite Class: Hunter Ranger
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by Gemmed Exquisite »

Did the survey, and being on console, we use gamertag or PSN-id, so I put (Xbox) after the @gamertag.

Took
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 12:19
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by Took »

Gemmed Exquisite wrote:Did the survey, and being on console, we use gamertag or PSN-id, so I put (Xbox) after the @gamertag.
Thanks for pointing that out.
Added console ID as an option.

User avatar
Relmyna
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 04:11
Gender: female
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by Relmyna »

I'd like to ask a few questions before I suggest to many people that they fill this out. Can you tell me a bit about yourself? I don't really know you and I don't know that I'd feel comfortable giving out my account handle to a random stranger without knowing what exactly your plan is to do with the information.

It's been brought up by people I know that it's easy to ignore the vocal minority. How many people do you feel would need to fill this out to get any sort of notice from Neverwinter/PWE?

Took
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed May 03, 2017 12:19
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by Took »

Relmyna wrote:I'd like to ask a few questions before I suggest to many people that they fill this out. Can you tell me a bit about yourself? I don't really know you and I don't know that I'd feel comfortable giving out my account handle to a random stranger without knowing what exactly your plan is to do with the information.

It's been brought up by people I know that it's easy to ignore the vocal minority. How many people do you feel would need to fill this out to get any sort of notice from Neverwinter/PWE?
I completely agree, Relmyna.
Always question the source.
Perfectly reasonable to be cautious with your identity, especially with moderators taking revenge on those who oppose them.
My account is @dread4moor. I've played on PC since 2013.
The surveymonkey account belongs to Doug aka Baggins @assasiana, on PC since open Beta. He does not visit NWUn.

Neither of us post on the Forum very often. But like many others have been disgusted by the behavior of some of the moderators.

We intend to share the results (sans identifiers) with Cryptic CM and Devs.
If the community says "things are fine", then I guess that is the end of it.
If the community expresses dissatisfaction with moderation we will ask Cryptic to publicly respond to this mass-complaint from their customers.

What is our goal response rate? We are hoping for >100 valid responses.
No sane business manager can ignore a tactfully prepared specific complaint for >100 customers.

I hope that answers your very legitimate questions.
All will decide for themselves if a independent survey is a good idea. If so, please share the link.

If not, I guess we'll go on complaining to each other here while Zebular and Manic laugh at our powerless fury.

Sharpedge
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 19:06
Gender: male
Favorite Class: Control Wizard
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by Sharpedge »

No real issue answering the survey, not like its hard to find my @handle anyhow.

User avatar
Relmyna
Posts: 49
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2015 04:11
Gender: female
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by Relmyna »

Sharpedge wrote:No real issue answering the survey, not like its hard to find my @handle anyhow.
I'm pretty sure most people know of you Sharp. There are people who prefer anonymity.

ambisinisterr
Posts: 173
Joined: Tue Jul 21, 2015 14:27
Gender: male
Favorite Class: Hunter Ranger
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by ambisinisterr »

I'm glad you thought out that people may take the survey multiple times if the usernames were not a requirement.

For obvious reasons I am not going to take the survey but I hope you put just as much thought into the questions. I don't know how the CM's will use the data in it but I am sure they'll at least look through the results. Just keep in mind that unbiased questions get the best survey results. ;)

User avatar
dupeks
Posts: 281
Joined: Fri May 13, 2016 17:07
Gender: male
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by dupeks »

ambisinisterr wrote:I'm glad you thought out that people may take the survey multiple times if the usernames were not a requirement.

For obvious reasons I am not going to take the survey but I hope you put just as much thought into the questions. I don't know how the CM's will use the data in it but I am sure they'll at least look through the results. Just keep in mind that unbiased questions get the best survey results. ;)
You should click it. The questions are respectfully worded.

That said, I do find that the focus is on the moderation, where I think a lot of the frustration comes from the rules.

Ambi, do you know who sets the forum rules? Who determines enforcement priorities / how much leeway go allow for discussion of mechanics that are not WAI? Are they ever reviewed / evaluated against previously defined objectives? Has the movement towards increased censorship / less tolerance been deliberate or organic? Is this topic even discussed / considered? And if it is, in your opinion is there any hope for a reversal of the trend?

LancerOPM
Posts: 167
Joined: Sat Feb 25, 2017 15:07
Gender: male
Favorite Class: Great Weapon Fighter
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by LancerOPM »

ambisinisterr wrote:I'm glad you thought out that people may take the survey multiple times if the usernames were not a requirement.

For obvious reasons I am not going to take the survey but I hope you put just as much thought into the questions. I don't know how the CM's will use the data in it but I am sure they'll at least look through the results. Just keep in mind that unbiased questions get the best survey results. ;)
you should participate in it aswell, since you in theory are part of the community...even if your answers are biased.

TheHappyLion
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 15:00
Favorite Class: Control Wizard
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by TheHappyLion »

Everyone is biased. That's what opinion is.

TripsOfThrymr
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 18:26
Gender: male
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by TripsOfThrymr »

If you want to enable change in moderation of the official forum, a logical discussion based in fact is your strongest approach. I'm for improving the moderation of the official forums. Nobody and no team is perfect and can always improve.

When you criticize people rather than behaviors, you bring emotion into the discussion. That makes it harder to find a solution that all stakeholders are reasonably happy with. This survey can only serve to ramp up the emotional factor, because it doesn't provide facts. It doesn't provide facts because your research methodology is severely flawed. Here's why:
  • * You are not surveying a random selection of forum participants, so you have inherent sample bias https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sampling_bias. The bias is at risk of being so extreme in this case that I would compare it to surveying democratic party policies at a Trump rally. Or at least, at the republican national convention (depends on where respondents tend to come from, the NWO forums or the NWO blog).
    * Indifferent/no opinion shouldn't be at the middle of the scale. That scale point should be reserved for neutral or mixed response. Allow a non-response or separate scale point to capture "no opinion."
    * Spoofing. I just took the survey using a fake account handle because I'm curious about the questions. I could have taken it using the handle of a real player that (hopefully) won't take the survey, too.
    * Multiple responses for one person. Similar to spoofing. Especially when surveying a group holding strong opinions, this is a real concern to the integrity of your research.
Bottom line, you're providing a platform for the subset of players that are regulars to NWO and hold strong, generally negative opinions (a key reason they're here, or indeed that NWO exists) to express themselves under the guise of legitimate market research.

User avatar
Bert
Posts: 430
Joined: Fri Jun 12, 2015 03:01
Gender: male
Favorite Class: Hunter Ranger
Preferred Gametype: PVP

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by Bert »

NWO is not New World Order.

Janne
Posts: 254
Joined: Fri Jul 29, 2016 05:28
Favorite Class: Trickster Rogue
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by Janne »

TripsOfThrymr wrote: Bottom line, you're providing a platform for the subset of players that are regulars to NWO and hold strong, generally negative opinions (a key reason they're here, or indeed that NWO exists) to express themselves under the guise of legitimate market research.
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but while I do very appreciate all the work that went into this site (I know about since lobo's zen tracker moved here), It doesn't require to register and login, the reason to post here is because the following:
TripsOfThrymr wrote:If you want to enable change in moderation of the official forum, a logical discussion based in fact is your strongest approach. I'm for improving the moderation of the official forums. Nobody and no team is perfect and can always improve.
Isn't actually allowed at the other 2 popular places. So off we go to the next best option...

There is some very biased misconception that this sites users are all some single homogeneous group of evil exploiters and trash talkers and what not. While I saw plenty of examples of 'people' that I would have banned, preferably from the entire human race just so the gene pool would not be contaminated. The reason, that I know for which a lot of people are here, is because we are driven here, by the same moderation. Although it's a bit futile to shout here about the issues while usually the people that should listen are not here.
Last edited by Janne on Mon Jun 12, 2017 19:56, edited 1 time in total.

TheHappyLion
Posts: 1211
Joined: Wed Jul 13, 2016 15:00
Favorite Class: Control Wizard
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by TheHappyLion »

You going to moderate how we do our science now? ;) I kid. You're right, Trips. As I have been banned (twice actually) from the official forums, I really have no place in any of this discussion, but I can say that this type of survey isn't going to lead to anything productive. I'm willing to be proven wrong, of course.

User avatar
j0Shi
Site Admin
Posts: 2161
Joined: Fri Sep 26, 2014 16:25
Gender: male

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by j0Shi »

I agree it would be best if PWE would run such a survey and sent it out to their players. But as long as this isn't happening, this is what we have. If there's genuine interest, we could post/stick the survey to the blog, subreddit and official forum to get a greater variety of players involved.
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

Sharpedge
Posts: 369
Joined: Mon Jun 08, 2015 19:06
Gender: male
Favorite Class: Control Wizard
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by Sharpedge »

Janne wrote:
TripsOfThrymr wrote: Bottom line, you're providing a platform for the subset of players that are regulars to NWO and hold strong, generally negative opinions (a key reason they're here, or indeed that NWO exists) to express themselves under the guise of legitimate market research.
I can't speak for anyone but myself, but while I do very appreciate all the work that went into this site (I know about since lobo's zen tracker moved here), It doesn't require to register and login, the reason to post here is because the following:
TripsOfThrymr wrote:If you want to enable change in moderation of the official forum, a logical discussion based in fact is your strongest approach. I'm for improving the moderation of the official forums. Nobody and no team is perfect and can always improve.
Isn't actually allowed at the other 2 popular places. So off we go to the next best option...

There is some very biased misconception that this sites users are all some single homogeneous group of evil exploiters and trash talkers and what not. While I saw plenty of examples of 'people' that I would have banned, preferably from the entire human race just so the gene pool would not be contaminated. The reason that I know a lot of people here, is because we are driven here, by the same moderation. Although it's a bit futile to shout here about the issues while usually the people that should listen are not here.
Pretty much this, along with using the tools here, the only reason I am here is because sometimes it feels like I cannot say anything on the official forums.

TripsOfThrymr
Posts: 21
Joined: Mon Jun 12, 2017 18:26
Gender: male
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: NW Forum Moderator Satisfaction Survey

Post by TripsOfThrymr »

Janne wrote: Isn't actually allowed at the other 2 popular places. So off we go to the next best option...
I don't think this survey is the next best option, because it's easy to dismiss as biased, and it ramps up emotions. The next best option is to continue to share examples where you feel moderation fell short. That has triggered ongoing thought and discussion.
Janne wrote: There is some very biased misconception that this sites users are all some single homogeneous group of evil exploiters and trash talkers and what not.
A lot of the content on nwo-uncensored is well-respected, as are many of the regular participants. I certainly enjoyed the blog long before becoming a moderator and still do. I have seen a desire (because of the really positive elements) for the official site to have a stronger relationship with arguably a well-done fan site. I can speak only for myself, but I suspect the barriers to having that better relationship aren't as strong as some might believe.