Could Updated System Requirenments Hint at Engine Overhaul?

Want to give Feedback on our blog-work or contribute yourself? Get started here!

silence1x
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Re: Could Updated System Requirenments Hint at Engine Overhaul?

Post by silence1x »

One can only hope that they will update the engine. Time will tell I guess but I wonder if this is another ninja attempt at killing bots. . .

JayAgeDee
Favorite Class: Hunter Ranger

Post by JayAgeDee »

I am not affected by it so my opinion could be biased. But I think it is a good change. If people out there still run windows xp then they should not connect to the internet in any way anyway (ha).

I personally would love an engine update:D
"Riders of Neverwinter! What news on Preview?"

beckylunatic
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Post by beckylunatic »

I'd assume it's just time. How long since Microsoft stopped supporting XP?
"no logs, only fix"

Janne
Favorite Class: Trickster Rogue

Post by Janne »

I think people make out of it more than it is. I hope I'm wrong, but sounds more like they want to save time compiling for dx9 shaders.
Though considering that dx10+ support dx9 stuff by sort of emulation and not natively so going 10+ allows to use the new features, part of which is better multi threaded handling on the cpu, some offloading to the GPU (even less CPU loading), tessellation, etc..
So there is a chance of seeing more fps in the new content, but still, I'm kinda more inclined to believe the want to save time by not supporting legacy stuff and keep doing what they are doing.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi »

I'm having tons of trouble on my AMD card with DX11 though. Not sure what the issue was, but I purposely changed back to DX9 a year ago or so.

Looking at that STO thread it's like doomsday :) Heck my 8-year old laptop is able to start the game. I mean, it's not pretty, but it's enough to claim some keys and stuff. And it has DX10.
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic »

One note, if the game can't run on WINE at all, we're all losing Two30 (if we didn't already lose him).
"no logs, only fix"

silence1x

Post by silence1x »

beckylunatic wrote:One note, if the game can't run on WINE at all, we're all losing Two30 (if we didn't already lose him).
I guess he could always try Win 7 on WINE . . . if he has a retail disk.

two31

Post by two31 »

The changes won't necessarily cut off the Wine users. It sounds like Neverwinter will be able to run on DX10 and Wine has some coverage there. It's an open question.

However, I bought basic WoW for 5$ on Black Friday and have been having some fun there. I'm not sure what I'll do when the free month runs out.

silence1x

Post by silence1x »

two31 wrote:The changes won't necessarily cut off the Wine users. It sounds like Neverwinter will be able to run on DX10 and Wine has some coverage there. It's an open question.

However, I bought basic WoW for 5$ on Black Friday and have been having some fun there. I'm not sure what I'll do when the free month runs out.
I tried it for the 7-day free trial a month or two ago. I just can't get into it due to the graphics. Also, while it's nice that you can mod the UI, I don't want to have to spend an hour or more to get less clutter on the screen and make it look "nice" to me.

I haven't tried running NWO on any Linux distro via Wine so not sure how it looks over there.