Could We Skip Introductory Quests With Alternate Characters Please?

Want to give Feedback on our blog-work or contribute yourself? Get started here!
j0Shi
Site Admin

Could We Skip Introductory Quests With Alternate Characters Please?

Post by j0Shi »

"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

beckylunatic
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: Could We Skip Introductory Quests With Alternate Characters Please?

Post by beckylunatic »

It was handled well with Underdark (surprise!) as campaign access was unlocked account-wide after running the story quest once, including the option to unlock Demogorgon as soon as an alt had the currency for it. The story quest is still there for your alts to run if and when you feel like it, for the XP and rewards. But since Underdark campaign progression is obtained from group content rewards and not quests at all, it's decidedly an outlier.

Maze Engine is truly not the worst offender simply because it's such a low time commitment outside the story quests, and because the story quests do set a high bar for quality. I've really spread out progressing this one on alts though, running a couple of them through it doing an act per 2xXP event, so it takes several months to finish completely. It works though and the only part I invariably find tedious is the story quest set in Spinward Rise.

Storm King's Thunder is a pretty long haul for each story component, much of it padded with quests you'll see again repeatedly as dailies, and I absolutely hate the way it shuts off dailies until you're done each story chapter as you progress through it. But it's not that bad compared to Sea of Moving Ice which I'd call an all-time low. There is no story beyond some NPC info dump, but you are forced to go through what feels like every quest that will turn into a daily, with no indication that you're getting close to being able to progress in the zone. It's just painful and unengaging.

Cloaked Ascendancy tried to strike a different balance by allowing access to Ostaram's daily without having run all of the introductory quests. It's an improvement, and the story quests prior to the River District unlock once again have the bar set high but it does take some time to collect all the macguffins once you have access. Shroud of Souls is nice like Underdark's story; it's there when you want to do it (assuming you've previously run CA's story) and provides some very good material rewards.

The other note from me is that the rewards for these story quests are all over the place in desirability. Underdark gives solid XP and very good items for the time investment. Maze Engine rewards are excellent XP and very good items. SKT has meh quest XP but the items are good to great. CA has meh quest XP but at least you get a bit of campaign currency. The motivation to run the intro for SoMI is awful. The quest XP is basic and you get nothing extra, not even a drop of campaign currency, until you get your unrestored Relic weapons. Ok, you get the boat and fishing pole you need for the zone, but these don't really count, imo. They are tools, not rewards.

I'd prefer more structure like Underdark where the quests are there but optional, but in cases like SoMI, if you're going to railroad players into a questline like that one (please no), at least give it more of a reward than access to even more grinding. It's not going to break the goddamn game to throw us a dribble of AD and refining stones, and we'll feel better about it.
"no logs, only fix"

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi »

Good summary becky, pretty much on point. Funnily the Summer Festival has a similar issue in which all alts have to do one Sahha game to unlock the daily routine for the Ticket-Balls. It slowly drove me crazy yesterday and I eventually quit and brought the remaining alts through the game today. That's especially annoying since you ruin the game for others while trying to afk in Sahha because it's your 4th or 5th game in a row that you don't want to play...

It's like you said. The best way to do this is splitting story/introductions and grind so players can choose to do them or not.
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

PutzBoy78
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Post by PutzBoy78 »

i'm certain cryptic won't want to make it easier to multi-character event rewards