Why You Should Play a Support Class

Want to give Feedback on our blog-work or contribute yourself? Get started here!
MinMax Fortytwo
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Why You Should Play a Support Class

Post by MinMax Fortytwo »

dupeks
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Re: Why You Should Play a Support Class

Post by dupeks »

Excellent write-up. I would add a handful of more reasons why playing a support class is great:
  • It encourages you to learn and understand the support mechanics, which can make you a much more effective damage dealer on your dps classes (understanding support rotations helps you position and time your burst). It also helps you understand at quick glance what types of buffs you're getting and which support is responsible.
  • You alluded to the notion that right now the meta is 3 or 4 supports in an end-game party. That means that there are actually more supports needed than dps characters, but the skew of characters in game tends to run the other way. This translates into being asked to join groups a lot, and having a much easier time finding groups for "hard" content.
  • You also alluded to the notion that support classes are less gear dependent. I generally agree (of course there are niche builds that are more gear-dependent... but loadouts!). The corollary to this is that you can bring good value to end-game groups even at a lower ilvl, so you seldom have to asked to be carried (and if you play your class well you may even be asked to legit help if the group is having a hard time finding the right support role).
  • Additionally, support classes have a wider selection of gear available to them. Since you're not shoehorned into stacking crit to cap, arpen to cap, then power all else (or just all power and arpen for a low-crit build). You can bring in a broader variety of wep enchants, set bonuses, insignia bonuses, and artifact powers and not worry about deviating away from the FotM as much as damage dealers have to worry about that.
  • Support classes are more versatile, and this is amplified by loadouts. Sure, a damage dealer can carry a group through a lower level dungeon. But how fun is that for your buddies who are just running behind picking up r5 enchants? Being a support means you can effectively switch between end-game configurations to move back towards more traditional tanky or healy roles, so that you can help a group in a T1 or T2 dungeon without just doing it for them. Subtle, but I think it can make a huge difference in enjoyment for the group.

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 »

Some reasons I love playing support class

- never have an issue getting a party, you turn away group content requests often. As I mentioned elsewhere, the fang drop issue for support classes will hurt party making in the new dungeon. Many dps will get it unlocked faster thanks to totems from hunts than support classers who are going to find hunts an overwhelming chore. And for those who point out that support classes can buy fangs... well see my counter arguments
- you are not as tightly held to upgrading gear. I'm still running around in a 15k dc with dragonflight armor and can hold my own. meanwhile in other classes if your not running around in vivified (have fun farming blood) your ability to maximize your role shows. That's right 6 modules and still wearing dragonflight. You can skip the expensive and time consuming chore of chasing relic weapons
- as for the mechanics you mentioned, i love the dc mechanics, divinity, empowerment, balancing up time on encounters (not just which ability hits hardest), much more emphasis on rotations all make dc very fun
- i like the dc community, i can speak for tank and controller community, but in general the dc community is helpful and supportive. Good people to be associated with. Basically the supportive nature of support class people continues outside of dungeon/party mechanics

as a counter argument on support classes.

- some of the reward systems heavily favor dps over support. As we are seeing now with the issues of support classes unable to get trex fangs, those systems have been in place for awhile. Similarly supports have been historically punished module 4 hes and module 5 heralds for example. This not only impacts gear progression but it impacts overall wealth. A good example right now is fangs. I know GWFs making 1M+ a day on trex fangs atm. Meanwhile i'm lucky to acquire 1 fang a day. This disparity in rewards impacts overall wealth and gear availability to support classes
- solo content is still slower on support classes (even with loadouts) than dps classes. This may not seem like a lot but lets say it takes a support 30 minutes to do dread ring daily. A similar geared dps can probably do it in 20
- you are not as tightly held to upgrading gear. Therefore upgrades in gear is less fulfilling. It's a part of the game that feels much less like an achievement
- power creep is not a friend of the support class. The more overpowered the community becomes the less "need" for support they have. That doesn't mean their isn't a market for buff/debuff support but other support roles like healer, tank, controller are not in demand
- mechanics
-- I found OP mechanics to be very underwhelming
-- The providing of combat advantage by mark and not just positioning greatly reduced the fun in tanking. Most tanks just run up and grab agro now (at least they can grab agro, remember those 5 mods where a tank couldn't hold agro). I like tanks that consider positioning, moving the focus of incoming attacks away from the party to limit party damage. I blame the bubble for making tanks lazier in this regard
-- CC support has very little function in today's game. Way to much cc immunity. Would love to see CW and tr have viable roles providing cc

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi »

From my personal experience I can confirm that you definitely get more satisfaction out of support classes because what you do matters. It's not so much for other games in which rotation and skill performing it matters more, but in Neverwinter being a DPS simply means having the right build and to the most part smash buttons.
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

TheHappyLion
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Post by TheHappyLion »

Being support means you get to tell people where to stand.

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 »

lol, not hardly, but you can tell them where to die :)

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic »

You can tell them where they should stand and watch them blissfully ignore you.
"no logs, only fix"

TheHappyLion

Post by TheHappyLion »

I don't pick them up if they run ahead and die.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi »

Corpse-jumping in PVE? :D
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

TheHappyLion

Post by TheHappyLion »

What's funny is that when I am dps carrying a group, I always run ahead and they always pick me up lol

Elmster

Post by Elmster »

Being a dps is a cut throat competition for end game content. Running mspc on my op or dc we can consistently run on the 25 minutes mark without a dps, on a templock, op, gf, dc, dc group and the runs are super chill. Before a dps class can be an actual benefit to the group, they need to be one of maybe 20-30 dps toons in our whole alliance of over 1000 online ids and probably 3000+ toons. Ofcourse for speedruns you need a top dps, but that's only the top 5% of dps classes, but level 12k dcs or offtank gfs are just fine for 20 minute runs. Whenever I'm running with 2 dps, it feels like a drag since you need to take it real slow and the group dps/survivability If the new dungeon is more difficult it will skew further towards support, and fewer dpses outside the very elite can finish end game content outside of being carried.

I see a lot of complaints that 14 or 15k dps can't find runs, but the reality is that as a straight dps, unless you contribute more than 50% of group dps, you are the least effective guy on the team.

I think in addition to trying out support classes, I think a lot of dps guys would do well to explore their support options (cw, sw, hr especially), and support classes would do well to explore their dps options further, since generally the best groups build on the biggest strengths of each members. Also such a playstyle is very rewarding as you learn a much more complete picture of the game.

TheHappyLion

Post by TheHappyLion »

Some of the fastest runs I have been on have been full "support" runs. Paingiver charts be damned. I wish they would remove charts altogether.

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic »

Remove the charts, but fix the achievements and titles. Immovable Object forever!
"no logs, only fix"

silence1x
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter

Post by silence1x »

TheHappyLion wrote:Some of the fastest runs I have been on have been full "support" runs. Paingiver charts be damned. I wish they would remove charts altogether.
I've been saying that for years. If they can't remove Paingiver then give us a Support Ninja section.
beckylunatic wrote:Remove the charts, but fix the achievements and titles. Immovable Object forever!
Bbbbbut what would the epeens do then? How could they possibly "measure up"? :evil: