Path of Exile:

OT discussions about games other than Neverwinter.
Sharpedge
Favorite Class: Control Wizard
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Path of Exile:

Post by Sharpedge » Mon Feb 08, 2016 21:47

Path of Exile is an online Action RPG that can be played either alone or in groups of up to 6 players. It is a game I got into a year or 2 ago and decided I may as well do a review of here for those of you looking for something other then NWO. It plays from a top down isometric view and is similar in gameplay to diablo 2. It has fast paced and brutal combat, the game is not designed around catering to casual players and has a very competitive pve environment.

Key Features of the game:
1) It is very alt friendly, designed around rerolling multiple characters and it has a complex skill tree to support this:
https://poebuilder.com/
The reason I do not link a picture of it and rather link a url is that to truly grasp how complex it is, you actually need to be able to pan through it and see all the individual things. There are 7 classes in PoE, instead of each class having a separate skill tree, depending on what class you start as changes where you start on the passive tree. You have up to 123 passive points to allocate while playing the game, however, the skill tree features around 1600 places to allocate them, meaning you have to make meaningful decisions when building your character. This is an example of the class forums for 1 of the 7 classes:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-forum/22

2) The stats on most gear is randomly generated from this list here:
http://pathofexile.gamepedia.com/Item_affix
Each piece of gear can have from 1-6 modifiers on it, which are randomly chosen from the list of available modifiers for that item, the only exception to this is unique items, which have fixed modifiers that instead vary in intensity, so for example, 1 unique item might add 160% to damage whilst another copy of the same unique item will add 175% to damage. Whilst the modifiers are randomly chosen, only certain modifiers can go on certain items, for example, you cannot have an attack speed modifier on boots. Furthermore, modifiers are divided into prefixes and suffixes and an item may only have 3 prefixes and 3 suffixes, which somewhat limits the diversity of items, but it done for the purpose of balance. Due to this system, BiS is a dream which you will never truly achieve and rather you go through stages of continually improving your gear, either by finding new items or crafting them.

3) Skills are not fixed, rather they are items called 'gems" which are socketed into your gear. Gems can be divided into different categories, active skills and support gems, whereby support gems modify the way active gems work in different ways. For example, the "spell echo" gem causes any spell gem linked to it to cast a 2nd time when you use it. There are 3 main attributes your character can have in PoE, Strength, Dexterity and Intelligence, both gear and gems require either 1 or 2 of these attributes in varying degrees and as of such characters specialize based off of how much of each of these they have.

4) The economy is based on a barter system, whilst there is "currency" in game, the currency used to trade in game is very primitive and has no actual value, rather its value fluctuates depending on demand and supply in game. There is no in game auction house, most of the trading in the game is done through third party tools like:
http://poe.trade/
https://github.com/xyzz/acquisition/releases
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1507190
The devs provide tools to the authors of these tools to make them possible, but the economy is entirely player driven, with no direct influence placed on it by the devs. An interesting point about path of exiles economy is that the currency players use are also items that have the ability to modify items, so whenever players want to improve their gear, they have to choose between crafting gear directly using currency, or buying something sold by someone else. To acquire really amazing items costs boat loads of currency, which means that crafting acts as a currency sink for high end gear crafters.

5) The game is entirely free to play, the only things you as a player can buy is transmutes for gear, decorations for your "hideout" (this games attempt at player housing) and stash tabs.

6) The game has a very competitive PVE environment, with things like races:
https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view- ... ace-events
With both in game rewards like some of those custom transmutes from the cash store, or custom skins for items that nobody else has, or even irl things like alienware laptops etc.

7) Although the game has a level cap of 100, endgame starts at level 68. Whenever you die, you lose 10% of the experience towards the next level, at very high levels, this makes it very hard to progress any further as dying can cost you hours of progress. if you happen to be playing on the hardcore rather then the softcore ladder, then dying once instantly loses you your character. As of such, most people reroll at ~level 85.

Potential things that will upset new players:
The game doesn't explain itself very well to new players, it is very complex and has many mechanics that if you don't pay attention to, will punish you later on in the game. Furthermore, trading is really rough for a new player when you have no idea of how to value items. I would strongly recommend watching videos/how to guides if you decide to get into the game before experimenting, because it can be a miserable experience if you do not.

I would recommend referring to this youtube channel if you decide to give the game a try:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4mLMb ... 9lVFtfanlg

Also, you can add me in game there by adding totemsbepraised to your friends list, I am more then willing to help you out/answer any questions you have there :) Its a bit sad, but I think that very soon PoE may be the main game I play and NWO will fall by the wayside.

As a final note, PoE is managed by a very small company in new zealand who are not backed by a big company like PWI and they consistantly manage to deliver top notch quality content, for example, in 1 months time they will be releasing Ascendancy, an entire new expansion featuring a LOT of new content:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vwCGT8ttfWE

...NWO has NO EXCUSES if a small company like that can pull of such big things.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Re: Path of Exile:

Post by j0Shi » Mon Feb 08, 2016 23:30

Thanks for the in-depth previews guys, much appreciated!
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

silence1x
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Post by silence1x » Wed Feb 10, 2016 17:06

I've tried to get into PoE twice. There are many great things about it but I like to think of it this way:

Diablo 3 is a Freshman ARPG; an intro to the genre

PoE is a PhD ARPG; get ready to write your thesis

The skill tree alone makes my head hurt. There is such a thing as too many choices and, to me, this game has too many in terms of skills.

If you love min/max-ing stats and skill, PoE is the game for you.

Sharpedge
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Post by Sharpedge » Wed Feb 10, 2016 19:10

silence1x wrote:I've tried to get into PoE twice. There are many great things about it but I like to think of it this way:

Diablo 3 is a Freshman ARPG; an intro to the genre

PoE is a PhD ARPG; get ready to write your thesis

The skill tree alone makes my head hurt. There is such a thing as too many choices and, to me, this game has too many in terms of skills.

If you love min/max-ing stats and skill, PoE is the game for you.
Yes, it is complex, but once you get into it, it is a lot of fun. My recommendation is start your first char and tinker around then when you start struggling, start a new char and follow a build/guide on the forums for the same skill. During the process, you should learn a lot about the game from seeing what works and what doesn't and it will make all subsequent characters a lot easier to level.

silence1x

Post by silence1x » Thu Feb 11, 2016 20:25

Sharpedge wrote:Yes, it is complex, but once you get into it, it is a lot of fun. My recommendation is start your first char and tinker around then when you start struggling, start a new char and follow a build/guide on the forums for the same skill. During the process, you should learn a lot about the game from seeing what works and what doesn't and it will make all subsequent characters a lot easier to level.
You may be right. I'll keep it on my short list.

Enomic
Favorite Class: Trickster Rogue

Post by Enomic » Sun Feb 14, 2016 20:35

The passive tree can be learned rather quickly. Here, I made a screenshot to make everything a lot easier to understand.

Classes basically revolve around the 3 main stat points.

Strength
Dexterity
Intelligence

Everything inbetween is a mixture of both.

The game starts off slow. Due to a lack of tutorial, the game slowly throws stuff at you, giving you time to understand them on your own. Since the game aims at a more hardcore and experienced audience, they expect you to learn on your own, to talk to people, to look things up. This said, there are TONS AND TONS of guides about builds/economy/mechanics/etc... etc...
As opposing to Neverwinter's, this game's Wiki site is updated with the most in-depth and detailed shit. Basically every question you might have has an answer there.
Trading is a pain in the ass, if you wanna find shit, you'll need to head over to http://www.poe.xyz
If you wanna setup a store or allow people to find your items on poe.xyz, you'll need a program called procurement. It's completely safe, everyone uses it, devs know about and is more or less an "approved" way of selling things.

I wanted to add that with "end-game begins at 68", you could say that basically, the whole game begins once you reach late 60s, early 70s. Up until then, you're just leveling, using whatever method fits you the best. Around there is where you achieve a state where you have a build ready and are looking to improve it. That's basically end-game there. It's a really good game, the developers care, they basically live at the office, game is worth pumping time into.

DB_Jones

Post by DB_Jones » Tue May 10, 2016 18:22

Beta Templar eldritch battery multi-ligthing strike build here.
I loved that game but finally ran out of things to do, It's on my to-do list to revisit it.

silence1x

Post by silence1x » Mon Dec 11, 2017 12:29

So I bit the bullet and revisited PoE. My Marauder is level 34 currently, soon to finish "normal" difficulty. I've taken a different approach to the skill tree this time. Since I'm waiting on the next Mod for NW, I decided to create a "starter" character for PoE to learn the ropes as I progress. So far, it has been fun (few days in) but I know I'll create at least two more characters; haven't decided on classes yet.

The Marauder runs around and kills things a la GWF-style. I'm curious what classes the rest of you have tried. I see DB's Templar build but what about The Shadow or Duelist class? Has anyone tried those?

Enomic

Post by Enomic » Tue Dec 12, 2017 09:43

Any class can be anything, silence1x. Classes simply provide an additional variety factor, the ascendancies are mostly themed around the class archetypes, but there are mechanics that work really well with other playstyles. Outside the box thinking is required. I know it's really hard, especially when you don't know how 95% of the game works, but you will learn this stuff over time.

A shadow is not automatically a melee assassin, a witch is not automatically magic only and a marauder is not automatically a GWF.

silence1x

Post by silence1x » Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:18

Thanks for the feedback Enomic. I am learning as I go. It reminds me, a bit, of first playing NWO (December 2013) and feeling lost for the first week or two. Onward and upward.

vesper

Post by vesper » Fri Dec 15, 2017 06:18

I hope you created your character on Abyss League, not standard - there are a lot more things to do there. You are lucky, because Abyss is one of the best leagues ever. If you play Marauder as a GWF here is a little tip: dont go melee with your first character. You will hit a wall very early, because melees need high damage and a lot more tankiness than ranged. If its your first character ever I'd suggest going totems - they have a stigma of not very engaging gameplay - you just place a totem or two and run around evading attacks and healing up - but they can be played even with bad gear. This is an exemplary build: https://www.pathofexile.com/forum/view-thread/1694250

silence1x

Post by silence1x » Tue Dec 19, 2017 12:56

Thanks for the info vesper. I've noticed the wall with the Marauder. I ran his first attempt at Labyrinth last night (level 42) and made it through two phases but died running around trying to find the final entrance. I also have a Witch (lvl 41), Templar (lvl 32) and a Duelist (lvl 15). My OCD is kicking in and I can't seem to make up my mind on a class/playstyle.

appreciate the link - I was looking at that very build last night.

Enomic

Post by Enomic » Sun Apr 01, 2018 08:35

Also we forgot to mention that PoE has the best 1st of April jokes in the industry.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWZ4tfOlC_g