Wild guessing about what broke the Auction House

What does not belong in any other section does probably belong here.
two31
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Wild guessing about what broke the Auction House

Post by two31 »

The AH is down on the PC server. Apparently it has been down for hours. Let's guess why!

Maybe the recently-added mailbox limit is somehow exploitable via overflow or underflow? I doubt the devs would suspend trading even if someone found a way to get countless auction slots. They would probably just plug the hole and correct the slots through attrition.

Maybe there was a currency exploit and they suspended trading to audit transactions? If there were a currency exploit, I would expect them to take the whole server down, not just the AH.

Sharpedge
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Re: Wild guessing about what broke the Auction House

Post by Sharpedge »

I think bots tried to mass flood the AH with RP and their code hadn't been updated to account for the new AH limit. So they kept trying to post stuff en masse even though they weren't able to and it sort of, "ddosed" the AH server.

Something along these lines, I think it has to do with bots.

silence1x
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Post by silence1x »

Sharpedge wrote:I think bots tried to mass flood the AH with RP and their code hadn't been updated to account for the new AH limit. So they kept trying to post stuff en masse even though they weren't able to and it sort of, "ddosed" the AH server.

Something along these lines, I think it has to do with bots.
Agreed. Reports are that they're all standing around at the bank too. Poor bots, they're all confused now.

Guam
Favorite Class: Great Weapon Fighter

Post by Guam »

LOL have to admit this is funny of it is the case, cant wait to see this on Xbone as we have the limits now!

two31

Post by two31 »

It can't be bots. The devs solved the bot problem by killing the Gateway and requiring accounts to complete 5 of 7 quest chains before being able to use the Auction House.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi »

Maybe the AH server just went down and since it was like night in CA they couldn't fix it until office hours?
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

Nippers Meowington
Preferred Gametype: PVP

Post by Nippers Meowington »

silence1x wrote:Agreed. Reports are that they're all standing around at the bank too. Poor bots, they're all confused now.
I sense a mass ban inc

two31 wrote:It can't be bots. The devs solved the bot problem by killing the Gateway and requiring accounts to complete 5 of 7 quest chains before being able to use the Auction House.
XD XD XD

Sharpedge wrote:something
:cry:

Shava
Favorite Class: Hunter Ranger

Post by Shava »

Interesting, but the AH is not on a different server, it is part of the database and they shutdown access to that part of the database. Bots can flood a database for queries. I won't rule anything out including a security breach. What are the new mailbox limits? I have been stuffing mine, I won't be able to check until I get home today.

puddles
Favorite Class: Great Weapon Fighter

Post by puddles »

Maybe this is Lions HUUUUGGGGGE bot fix.

Build a wall around the Auction house.

Kolat
Favorite Class: Scourge Warlock
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Post by Kolat »

Shava wrote:What are the new mailbox limits?
I'm honestly unsure, that...

two31

Post by two31 »

By new mailbox limit, I meant the Sea of Moving Ice patch note: "There is now a limit to the number of unclaimed items a player may have in their mail. Once this limit is reached, the player may no longer post items up for auction until they claim items from their mail."

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic »

Shava wrote:What are the new mailbox limits?
Max 40 auction slots (same as ever), but unclaimed purchases and payments both subtract from your max in addition to returned unsold items. If you have more unclaimed purchases or payments in your mail than 40, you have negative available auction slots until you clean out your mail.

If you have more than 200 messages from Cryptic, even without attachments, you cannot buy things from the AH anymore. Console players have told me that they don't have auto-deletion of looted AH mail (PC's deletes itself after a week once attachments are claimed), so they have to manually delete their looted messages one at a time, whereas many players previously just ignored them. I don't think we have a baseline if this is only AH messages, or if Cryptic's system/NPC messages from redeeming codes and levelling up also count to the total.

No documented or noticeable changes to behavior of player-generated messages with attachments.
"no logs, only fix"

TheHappyLion

Post by TheHappyLion »

two31

Post by two31 »

beckylunatic wrote:I don't think we have a baseline if this is only AH messages, or if Cryptic's system/NPC messages from redeeming codes and levelling up also count to the total.
From my own testing a while back:
1. Character-targeted mail (like promo companions) counts against the auction limit.
2. Account-targeted mail (like the gateway memento) does not count against the limit.

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic »

Were you able to figure out if it's only mail that has contained items at some point? Race/class quest mail is only 3-4 messages per chain, and it's not like the milestone mail ("Check out professions on the Gateway!") is archivally interesting, but I'm not looking forward to micromanaging mail on top of everything else. Sometimes I miss deleting things and then they get buried. And a code for a title is one message per character, every time.

I'm not really a high-volume auctioneer, but selling stuff nobody else does has been a solid money-maker for me, so the feedback I'm seeing about people who aren't going to bother with small sales anymore has potential.
"no logs, only fix"

two31

Post by two31 »

beckylunatic wrote:Were you able to figure out if it's only mail that has contained items at some point?

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic »

Clever britches. Thanks!
"no logs, only fix"

two31

Post by two31 »

The official reason is in: "We intentionally took it down due to botting activity that we're still looking into." http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/never ... n/1225351/

I don't understand how botting became an issue in the middle of the night. I guess they have an automated shutoff if there's too much strange activity on the AH.

TheHappyLion

Post by TheHappyLion »

Thanks a lot, puddles.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi »

TheHappyLion wrote:Thanks a lot, puddles.
I loled :evil:

Also: Can anybody remind me why the Gateway was shut down?
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr