Wild guessing about what broke the Auction House

What does not belong in any other section does probably belong here.
Shava
Favorite Class: Hunter Ranger
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: Wild guessing about what broke the Auction House

Post by Shava »

two31 wrote:The official reason is in: "We intentionally took it down due to botting activity that we're still looking into." http://www.arcgames.com/en/forums/never ... n/1225351/

I don't understand how botting became an issue in the middle of the night. I guess they have an automated shutoff if there's too much strange activity on the AH.
I am getting ready to leave work and drive home. I find myself questioning their motives often two31. I take it from what I am reading it has been down and not expected back anytime soon... kind of like the Gateway. Although this would not be in their interests to sabotage their own AH, unless it is a awkward move to balance the Zen Exchange in some odd fashion? No AH means no AD being made on sales, AD would stockpile on toons without a means to spend it. I guess I will know more in an hour when I can login from home.

I hope for best, prepare for the worse.

beckylunatic
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric

Post by beckylunatic »

The AH is one of the most reliable ways of removing AD from the economy via the 10% transaction cut on every sale.

For players, all it accomplishes is moving existing AD around. It doesn't create more AD out of thin air.

We do have a post from MimicKing indicating that they are not planning a permanent shutdown. They really can't, because lockboxes are reliant on players being able to buy and sell the top-tier prizes. No AH means they'd have to build a completely new monetization system.
"no logs, only fix"

dupeks
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Post by dupeks »

beckylunatic wrote:We do have a post from MimicKing indicating that they are not planning a permanent shutdown. They really can't, because lockboxes are reliant on players being able to buy and sell the top-tier prizes. No AH means they'd have to build a completely new monetization system.
Completely agree with the assessment here, it would kind of be unfathomably stupid for them to take it offline for long... but their track record with reasoning through decisions isn't exactly stellar.

To add, I'm not surprised, but it seems like they are having trouble communicating internally. The disorganization here made me chuckle more than Thomas's gallows humor:

Posted 10:49AM PT, edited 1:24 PM PT
strumslinger wrote: Hey everyone,

We're aware the Auction House is down right now and are working on it. Sorry for the late notice - it happened when I was asleep :(.

We intentionally took it down due to botting activity that we're still looking into.

Thanks for the patience.
Posted 1:19 PM PT
mimicking wrote: Hey Gang- not shutting the Ah down or the bank:) we may temporarily disable hopping up and down on level 4's though ( gallow humor, I know). Looking into this issue now, thanks for the heads up.
M.K.

two31

Post by two31 »

The AH will definitely be back but I wouldn't be surprised if they add even more restrictions. "In addition to the Astral Diamond cost, posting an auction now costs one Sea of Moving Ice fish."

Sharpedge
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Post by Sharpedge »

two31 wrote:The AH will definitely be back but I wouldn't be surprised if they add even more restrictions. "In addition to the Astral Diamond cost, posting an auction now costs one Sea of Moving Ice fish."
Congratulations on actually making me laugh out loud.

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 »

the mailbox limit is where having an alt army comes in handy. With the rumors about the mailbox limits coming, I bought all my salvage rings for 2xAD on alts who can no longer post to the AH. My main however has all the room still available for unloading lockbox crap, etc :)

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic »

Sharpedge wrote:
two31 wrote:The AH will definitely be back but I wouldn't be surprised if they add even more restrictions. "In addition to the Astral Diamond cost, posting an auction now costs one Sea of Moving Ice fish."
Congratulations on actually making me laugh out loud.
Everything to do with fish must be soundtracked with The Cat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkjbMoj0JY4
"no logs, only fix"

Kermit
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter

Post by Kermit »

j0Shi wrote:
Also: Can anybody remind me why the Gateway was shut down?
To prevent BOT activity... ;)

TheHappyLion
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Post by TheHappyLion »

Something tells me this has something to do with the 2xEnchants event. But then again, maybe not.

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic »

Someone somewhere said that before it shut down, RP stacks were flooding the AH, and the event hasn't even started yet. No idea.
"no logs, only fix"

Shava

Post by Shava »

I didn't do much but everything is still in the mail. I am off to play some other games, I suggest we give them time to repair and/or replace the AH. I have complete faith they will have it done before Xmas... of next year.

Red Dwarf lol beckylunatic, one of my favorite shows.

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 »

seriously the 2xRP event is a week away, what kind of a nub would flood the market now? Unless they were trying to sell R5s before the price tanks

rapo973

Post by rapo973 »

I suspect that they have big issues internally.
-AH, Emergency fix last week, poorest contents ever
- the patch note released this night (Europe time) is really disappointing. It fixes the bare minimum, while big bugs coming from the SoMI are not addressed at all.No need to talk about old bugs. Hopeless.
- in the meanwhile they are spending 2.5 FTE to find a solution to the keygate
- on top of them, they are struggling with the usual communication issues even if MimicKing is trying to be a bit more visible.

etelgrin
Favorite Class: Scourge Warlock
Preferred Gametype: PVP

Post by etelgrin »

Flooding Auction House with anything was pretty much pointless yesterday and the day before. Anybody who thinks economics knows this.

We have 11 milions backlog on demand, this backlog will most likely disappear after 24th Nov which means selling everything was a good way to go when exchanging AD to ZEN was still possible, last day in my opinion to do that was 12th Nov so that a person would get his ZEN on time at 24th. Why? Because anything you buy with -50% discount you can always resell later at full price maybe -15% and you still get a profit, always. I opened my resonant bags and sold every refinement I had, I sold refinement from heralds I did not stack rewards like other times I usually do, I sold enchantments only in order to have as much AD to trade to ZEN as possible within given time cause I will rebuy this and much more from every AD spent on this exchange.

Bots and their companies knows this alot because this is partly how they function and how they can later after this Black Friday sale cheaper than Cryptic and still make profit from it, thats how they make profit, how they can sell cheaper than Cryptic at any given day later if they decide to and they can always do so accordingly to how market reacts, think about it, if they increase the cap to be like Drider and you would be buying pres ward for 50 zen and which would be like paying 250:1 at price 100 per ward and later you find yourself with ZEN worth 1k instead of maximum 500, for each increase you are already making a profit without doing pretty much anything.

Selling anything or trading anything now or ordering ZAX is not going to get you anywhere now, so this excuse for me sounds rather silly.

I think there had to be some exploit in AH, perhaps one which they claimed they already patched, maybe you could bidblock on item or maybe again something with overflow bag that allowed you to buy items without required AD I dont know, but situations like this make me sure that they patch something then every once in a while they launch different build on game which has certain things unpatched because there are already situations even very recent that bugs that was once fixed returned couple of times and I think perfect example of this is Frost enchantment rising effectivness to about 400% there is this and many more examples from the past, I think nothing beats how many time they fixed "resonator exploit" which later on returned anyway. I think its all dependant on which build they launch and if its fixed on this build.

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic »

I can think of one good reason why you'd want AD and not Zen prior to a Black Friday sale.

At any rate, goldsellers wouldn't use the ZAX.

I guess that's two reasons.
"no logs, only fix"

Shava

Post by Shava »

Kolat wrote:
Shava wrote:What are the new mailbox limits?
I'm honestly unsure, that...
Today I got my answer, I found the mailbox is an unofficial 100 slot shared bag.

I can live with that.

Also they got the AH working again ... before Xmas.

beckylunatic

Post by beckylunatic »

It's actually 20 messages from self/other players with attachments, so if you don't have all spaces occupied on each mail, it's fewer than 100. Keeping that much crap in your mail also blocks receiving text-only mail from other players, including guild mail.

Nothing about this is any different than it ever was. New changes only apply to auction mail (storage for which used to be somewhere in the realm of infinity).
"no logs, only fix"