Linux WINE and XP

What does not belong in any other section does probably belong here.
Shava
Favorite Class: Hunter Ranger
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Linux WINE and XP

Post by Shava »

I feel this deserves a thread of it's own, while I am only "testing" games on Linux I have been running XP Pro on a dual boot Windows 10 computer. I just like XP pro more so than Windows 10. I have a tiny Linux box that runs 100% Linux and nothing more.
ansuz4221 wrote: Well I tried it once this week before the last launcher update as (at least) some DX 11 features are already available in WINE - looked like a pink arcade game. My tests with only DX 10 or 11 installed had all 3D models missing and crashed on map loading :x

Edit: But I will never give up my hopes ;)
My Linux box cannot get beyond the Neverwinter logo screen today. I am running it on a slightly older version of WINE 1.8.4, I presume the penguins are running 1.9.x by now? I had to use Windows 10 this morning on my other PC, no time to reboot into XP. So I know Windows 10 is working, but I was on just long enough to setup my 6 hour professions and run off to work. I did not check for game play and glitches.

To my question, is any Linux user able to play it still or has it progressed too quickly?

two31
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric

Re: Linux WINE and XP

Post by two31 »

I logged in today and claimed my VIP lockbox key.

Setup: Wine 1.9.24, WINEARCH="win32", d3dcompiler_47 (disabled)

Shava

Post by Shava »

It was just an extra long wait. I left it at the screen this time and when I returned about 20 minutes later and found it questioning my display setups.

I run it using a bash script.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine-nw-dxtest"
export WINESERVER="$HOME/.wine-1.9.24/bin/wineserver"
export WINELOADER="$HOME/.wine-1.9.24/bin/wine"
export WINEDLLPATH="$HOME/.wine-1.9.24/lib/wine"
export WINEDEBUG="-all"
$WINELOADER Neverwinter.exe
I have found turning off the debug makes the game run smoother. However when testing settings I place a hash there to ignore that line. I managed to log on the dragon server and played Protecting the Portal, Arcane Res., and Red Wizards. I will be waiting some time for the Preview server to update before I can do any serious tests. I know there is only a handful of people who run this game on Linux, but I feel there is no need to ignore them just because I happen to have Windows 10. I would like to "rally the penguins" to come here. I also happen to know some programmers who said, "It doesn't take much effort for any video game to just include an OpenGL option." Many of my friends mistake me as being a programmer, I work on databases and not the same thing. I apologize for my lack of knowledge in these matters and wish there was more I could do.

Janne
Favorite Class: Trickster Rogue

Post by Janne »

Shava wrote:It was just an extra long wait. I left it at the screen this time and when I returned about 20 minutes later and found it questioning my display setups.

I run it using a bash script.

Code: Select all

#!/bin/bash
export WINEPREFIX="$HOME/.wine-nw-dxtest"
export WINESERVER="$HOME/.wine-1.9.24/bin/wineserver"
export WINELOADER="$HOME/.wine-1.9.24/bin/wine"
export WINEDLLPATH="$HOME/.wine-1.9.24/lib/wine"
export WINEDEBUG="-all"
$WINELOADER Neverwinter.exe
I have found turning off the debug makes the game run smoother. However when testing settings I place a hash there to ignore that line. I managed to log on the dragon server and played Protecting the Portal, Arcane Res., and Red Wizards. I will be waiting some time for the Preview server to update before I can do any serious tests. I know there is only a handful of people who run this game on Linux, but I feel there is no need to ignore them just because I happen to have Windows 10. I would like to "rally the penguins" to come here. I also happen to know some programmers who said, "It doesn't take much effort for any video game to just include an OpenGL option." Many of my friends mistake me as being a programmer, I work on databases and not the same thing. I apologize for my lack of knowledge in these matters and wish there was more I could do.
I think the "doesn't take much effort" is very relative. It will take a lot more effort than the port to PS4, and the PS4 took much more effort than the XBOX. So.... not much effort will be a 'little' understatement, about like saying Alaska is a little cold.

More so OpenGL was replaced by Vulkan by the Khronos Group, so no much viability in taking the significant effort to porting to something obsolete.

Shava

Post by Shava »

Janne wrote: More so OpenGL was replaced by Vulkan by the Khronos Group, so no much viability in taking the significant effort to porting to something obsolete.
As I said, I would not know about that, I know very little about C++ and linking to dynamic libraries. Are you are saying your Linux uses this Vulkan what version and distribution would that be Janne?

Update:
I did try the preview server and have no issues with my little Linux box, but it also didn't have a patch or I missed it downloading. I am assuming they haven't done any graphic tweaks yet. I seriously hope they don't plan to put this all off to the last 48 hours and have nothing to test against. Also if one of you Linux experts can inform me (or shoot me a link) as to how to put my WINE into Direct X 10 mode? I don't see a setting for it in the WINE config program. And I have the setting on Windows 10, should I turn it down to 7 or Vista?

Janne
Favorite Class: Trickster Rogue

Post by Janne »

Shava wrote:
Janne wrote: More so OpenGL was replaced by Vulkan by the Khronos Group, so no much viability in taking the significant effort to porting to something obsolete.
As I said, I would not know about that, I know very little about C++ and linking to dynamic libraries. Are you are saying your Linux uses this Vulkan what version and distribution would that be Janne?
Vulkan is a graphic API, like openGL or DirectX (the graphic parts of it, d3d), it's speculated that it was meant to be a next iteration of openGL, but the changes were significant enough to give it a new name and separate them. And as such to allow a 'clean break' from the openGL specification.

I perhaps oversimplified by calling openGL obsolete compared to Vulkan, openGL is being updated and maintained. The most significant difference is probably the ability to access low level graphic hardware. Similarly how D3D9 was updated to d3d10 and then 11 to 12, allwoing more and more low level access (Direct 3d is the graphics component of directX. Direct X also includes input, sound and other things).
Vulkan allows more or less similar level of access to hardware as D3D12 and probably the porting between those two is the easiest.
A lot of difference also comes from that that the lower level API leaves handilng of a lot of things to the engine and not the drivers, so unless the engine already supports all the memory management and asynchronous work, the update is even more significant.

The Linux or windows support is handled by the graphic card drivers. Both nvidia and AMD support it.

http://support.amd.com/en-us/kb-article ... Notes.aspx
https://developer.nvidia.com/vulkan-driver

So you don't need a specific distribution, only one that you can put the drivers in it. Usually the simplest will be RedHat and Ubuntu.
I don't know the support in the other driver variations that are available for linux.

A lot of game engines support the API already and there are some games that already support and playabale, like Dota2 & Doom
Some more info here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulkan_(API)

The main issue with porting is that after linking the libraries (the very easy part), the devs need to rewrite all the calls because of the different standard. It's hard to find a good example, because on relational databases it's all SQL, but imagine that a new relational database was added that has a totally new and unique query language, you will have to rewrite all your SQL commands to port to it.

Shava

Post by Shava »

Sorry but that sounds more like a "long term" project TBA in 2018 or something like that. I am trying to focus on what we have "here and now" to help these Linux Penguins back into the swimming pool.

My best online friend is a Linux player and he just went, "Oh well, time to call it a day.". He and I have been playing Star Trek since 2012 together, I think we both joined NW about December 2014, we threw a guild together on it as well. He got fed up with NW back in late August and started playing STO again. We talked about rebuilding our STO fleet. But this Direct X issue has torpedoed our plans. Assuming Cryptic can deliver a stable DX 10 release (hard to keep from laughing) by March 1st, I would like to know if there is any kind of tweaks that I can test here this upcoming weekend?

I have all three OS at my finger tips, XP, Windows 10, and Linux.