T9G Traps, GF, Composition Questions

What does not belong in any other section does probably belong here.
j0Shi
Site Admin

T9G Traps, GF, Composition Questions

Post by j0Shi »

Hey guys! Currently working on a T9G guide and have a couple questions left.

First of all I' not sure I understood the chest shell game trap. I thought you follow around the chest you activate, but the last two times it didn't really work although I was pretty sure that I had done no mistake. Maybe random, but maybe I didn't get something.

Second question is about composition, mainly GF tanks. Most groups that struggle on the last boss seem to be solo tanked by GFs. Is an OP that important? Taking my own GF I normally run into little problems, but there are those strange occurrences where the group simply does not stand a chance, even if the item levels seem appropriate. Not sure if it's the DCs doing something different or generally aggro issues as dying mostly happens from the big blow of the boss.

Thanks!
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

STSchiff
Favorite Class: Devoted Cleric
Preferred Gametype: PVE

Re: T9G Traps, GF, Composition Questions

Post by STSchiff »

Hey,
the riddle is as follows: There is a lit up bottle flying around between the chests. You need to click the chest that has the bottle in it at the end.
I think after every switching the mimic which has the bottle bites into the air, might be coincidende tho.

I only ran with 2 DC / GF / OP / GWF combination yet, all 15+, havent had any problems in the 3 or so runs so far, had to retry the first boss once because someone picked the wrong debuff and wiped at the 3rd boss once because some people didn't know the mechanics. (Fight in middle of stage, kill the souls, don't get hit by AoE to reset debuff stacks.)

bellistor
Favorite Class: Great Weapon Fighter
Preferred Gametype: BOTH

Post by bellistor »

Hi,

Just brainstorming. Maybe I can contribute something. Sorry for bad english in advance.

1) It is a skull not a bottle, right? Some moves are really confusing especially when the game lags / rubberbands. AFAIK the mimmic who catched the bottle shows its tongue.

2) For the boss three points: Most important to kill the adds. The souls OFC to avoid the ultimate charge-up and the others to avoid companion loss when they attack an add instead of following their master (to avoid getting pulled from the platform). Second is recognizing the "ghost pull" phase ASAP and save everybody including companions, which is quite more difficult. We found best practice is to kill ALL ADDS QUICK and move to the opposite edge ASAP. Third is to survive the boss overhead-fire-smash attack. Not that easy. He ignores aggro AFAIK. Avoid the red AOE when debuff level is high to clear all stacks. Timing to enhance defense or simmilar when boss charges up for the attack.

We even did with 3 DD, 1 GF and 1DC(DO). Killing the adds requires a level of buff/debuff/timing and we found that, IF the party knows the requirement to kill all adds ASAP and know the boss rota, they optimize the process and then it works. The fastest kill was with 2 DC, 1GF, 1GWF, 1TR @endgame equip... with 1DD and 1OP it takes a few seconds more, group can ignore AOE and fire-smash. So this is the meta ATM.

Other issues
- The face "riddle" at the start of the dungeon is the best one they ever implemented. I did around twenty runs clearing the whole area before someone noticed there always is the face in the open path.
- The trap where you have to move debris sometimes bugges (no more stones, path closed, one could not drop the last stone) so we decided to do all riddles.
- The riddle with 6 item-clicks can be done simulateously by all group members and has a lot of potential to optimize the process.
- Last boss. If your group is not overpowering the content the blue scrolls from the tradebar merchant are really usefull to rezz without sickness. Active rezz is really difficult in this fight and may become a vicous circle.
- There is bug when falling of the platform on the "short" edge it happens the char starts at first campfire (still an issue?) with 3 or 4 group of trash respwan. Very annoying!
- The rumor the killing of ugly dwarfs affects the boss fight difficulty... ;-)

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi »

Thanks for clearing up the chests puzzle. This one really got to me... lol.

As for composition. Good to hear that someone beat the dungeon with only one tank and heals, because that was actually a related question that I wanted to ask. Imho killing the adds isn't as much of an issue as avoiding the "fire smash". As GF I normally have no issue because for whatever reason you can't target the boss while it's channeling the attack. If you use "Aggravating Strike" you'll instantly notice when you start moving forward and can normally dodge the attack easily.

Where some of my groups have failed is when the DPS or DCs aren't able to avoid the smash and get one-shotted.
"This information is not official and is not supported by PWE. This content was removed from the official neverwinter forums because it provides information that is potentially false and sheds a negative light on unpublished and unknown drop rates within the game." -melodywhr

lowjohn

Post by lowjohn »

The chest riddle: It's exactly the same as STO's anniversary event "figure out which Q has the present" minigame, or the classic shell game con (although Neverwinter at least doesn't cheat).

The idea is that there's a pea (the glowing skull) and 3 cups (the mimics) and you need to figure out which mimic is holding the skull when the moves stop. The difficulty is that the mimics keep changing places and the skull keeps changing mimics.

TheHappyLion
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Post by TheHappyLion »

Yeah, having my back turned to the boss when I am killing the souls is usually a mistake because I get hit in the back. Also, the head does not always appear before the tilt for some players. It really helps to have a competent DC.

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi »

bellistor wrote: - The rumor the killing of ugly dwarfs affects the boss fight difficulty... ;-)
Does it make the fight harder or easier? :mrgreen:

Sounds a lot like the rumor that killing the extra boss in Malabog enhances the drop chance of those weapon fragments :P

TheHappyLion
Favorite Class: Control Wizard

Post by TheHappyLion »

or praying at the altar after killing Orcus before opening chests

Scathian

Post by Scathian »

http://forum.arcgames.com/neverwinter/d ... s-tutorial

You probably already saw this j0Shi but there was some useful info in here, especially the bit about how the entrance to the tomb has a stone head on the wall while the other 2 paths don't

j0Shi
Site Admin

Post by j0Shi »

Thanks Scathian, guys. Will definitely try some unusual compositions (GF/DC/3DPS) before finalizing. Kinda interested how the last boss feels. Have not run the dung without 2DC at least.

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 »

GF makes everyone run faster. Not sure you can do a sub-20m run without a GF when there is so much walking in the dungeon (much of it meaningless like the stairs).

OP synergy with ACDC is why having the OP is so effective

MOF is very useful and synergies well with buffers for quick runs also

I did a two dps, 2dc, one op run that was pretty slow and you could feel the difference. Took like an hour. I've also had GF, OP, GWF, 2DC runs that failed at first boss. So yeah competency/skill is an issue

chemjeff

Post by chemjeff »

I tried TONG first time on my DC last night. Our group spent 2.5 hours in there and ultimately could not beat last boss. It was OP/2xGWF/2xDC. I am utterly confused by the last boss. There are so many things to keep track of.

Few questions:
1. How do you avoid the armor shredding?
2. If you get the armor shredding, how do you clear it?
3. The guide above mentions the "purple slicing thing". What is that? Is that the red stripe AOE attack?
4. There is also an AOE attack where the entire platform turns red except for a small circle near boss, similar to 2nd MSP boss. Does this do something? I tended to ignore it and it didn't seem to hurt but maybe it gave me some debuff that I didn't know about.
5. Specifically for DC, what powers do you suggest? I have both AC Virtuous and DO Righteous, although my stats are better tuned for AC Virtuous (higher power, lower crit). What specific tells should I time, say, AA for, or Divine Protector for (if needed)?

Also I can't help but thinking that if the devs really do mess with the DC quite a bit, then the completion rate for this dungeon will probably be very low. As it stands right now, it seems even harder than Mod 0 CN.

PutzBoy78

Post by PutzBoy78 »

As DO, i use BotS/AS at wills, foresight and TI for class features, PoD/AS/DG for encounters (since bts and ff are broken, when these are repaird i will replace AS with FF because the loss of damage mitigation can be overcome with quicker kill), and ofc HG for dailys. I stand back off of him a bit (like 30') to avoid the sword strike which is pretty lethal without mitigation. That's also the gift of playing DO, position matter less.

With mob spawn immediately turn on them, let the tank deal with the boss (AC to provide additional assistance if necessary).

NW1234

Post by NW1234 »

Scathian's link has most of the info about the dungeon. The face on the wall at the start really saves time versus trial/error.

OP isn't super important but right now with the AoC proccing all lightning enchant jumps + AA synergy, it helps boost dps a bit. The other thing is that the 3rd boss's IBS can easily be tanked with OP just standing there so it's the "easy" thing to do versus GF. As the tank, try to face the boss away from the group. As non-tanks, pet peeve, but don't stand in front of the boss. You can stand to the side/behind and do the same dps and never take the IBS, which will one shot a lot of people.

chemjeff:
1. The armor shredding is avoided by just not standing in the red, which is easier said than done. Over time, you can avoid most of them because the timing and shape of the red is always the same.
2. This is a boss where soulforged/mass life scrolls almost feels like a cheat. Dying is probably the easiest way to clear the stacks. Also, I think but I'm not sure that the stacks clear when the boss fires off his soulmonger attack (when there's green flames all around).
3. The purple slicing thing is that AoE attack in a ~10 foot radius circle around him near the start and after a ghost platform shift. You can avoid it by just not standing close to him until he does it, if you're ranged.
4. It's the same as the others. It just adds a stack of the shredding if you don't avoid the red.
5. With the broken ff/bts, AC: BoH (because people never avoid the red), DG, empowered exalt on the high dps
DO: DL maybe (to kill souls) but can be anything really, DG, PoD
AS is not bad for lesser groups but it'll be completely useless after the upcoming nerf to it.

The main reason people are having trouble with it is that it's the first dungeon to really have "soft enrage" timers so lesser geared groups or groups that don't know the fights that attempt it literally won't be able to finish it. The well geared groups just kill the boss before much of the mechanics can fire off so those runs are quick (e.g. 2nd boss where most groups ignore all the mechanics).

It's not that bad to do it with 1 DC and been in quite a few fast runs without the 2DC/1GF/1OP/1GWF. Everything looks similar but people gravitate towards the optimal group because it makes the run easier and more lenient for any mistakes.

Random note: The 6 object puzzle is actually really fast with 2+ people that can eliminate the wrong choices quickly and especially fast with voice chat. It's probably faster than the 10 potion one that no one skips. But if everyone just stands around while 1 person does the full trial and error, then bad luck can make it take 3 mins in the worse case, which seems slow.

chemjeff

Post by chemjeff »

Thank you for your advice. I don't think I'll attempt it again until the DC's powers are fixed.

RJC9000
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter

Post by RJC9000 »

Meh, not sure I have much to add during to this topic apart from what's been said.

The panels trap failure can be revealed by VIP stuff (anvil/signpost/etc.). You can also do some funky maneuvering to get your companion to step on the panels, but that's way too much work for my own tastes..

I am not sure if that technically counts as an exploit, but I had to be careful around the crazy law enforcement (the mods).
You can't let yourself be held back by common sense.

Shadowblade

Post by Shadowblade »

I'd love to see this guide when it's ready.

There was an amusing popcorn moment in one of the channels last night, when a GWF asked for a DC to help with first Boss in ToNG, and a few minutes later the DO DC posted he'd been kicked by the leader GWF with the pm

GTFO with your plaguefire.

In the ensuing rants, one guy blocked 8 other members, then the GWF said the DO was kicked for failing to collect "The Balls" and the GWF didn't respond as to how many DCs he'd kicked, or whether they'd finished the run, but was very vocal about "eedjitts" not knowing anything about how enchants work.

So, what are "The Balls" in ToNG?

What is so terrible about Trans Plaguefire on a buff/debuf support DO DC? I think two identical enchants don't stack and it's changed a lot, but remember when GPF was considered BIS for a DC.

Cheers!
:shock:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a HAMSTER! man in possession of a good HAMSTER!, must be in want of a QUACK!"
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen (1775–1817)

Good to see forum censorship never makes things look worse then they actually were to start with.

:roll:

RJC9000
Favorite Class: Guardian Fighter

Post by RJC9000 »

Shadowblade wrote:I'd love to see this guide when it's ready.

There was an amusing popcorn moment in one of the channels last night, when a GWF asked for a DC to help with first Boss in ToNG, and a few minutes later the DO DC posted he'd been kicked by the leader GWF with the pm

GTFO with your plaguefire.

In the ensuing rants, one guy blocked 8 other members, then the GWF said the DO was kicked for failing to collect "The Balls" and the GWF didn't respond as to how many DCs he'd kicked, or whether they'd finished the run, but was very vocal about "eedjitts" not knowing anything about how enchants work.

So, what are "The Balls" in ToNG?

What is so terrible about Trans Plaguefire on a buff/debuf support DO DC? I think two identical enchants don't stack and it's changed a lot, but remember when GPF was considered BIS for a DC.

Cheers!
The balls in the Orcus fight are the Green Spheres of Annihilation that periodically spawn in the corners of the room. They'll periodically tether themselves to a player and the player who took the TempHP curse needs to facetank the spheres; otherwise, the balls are instant death (burns through soulforged and literally just boots you straight to "you have been defeated").

This GWF... I remember seeing this guy earlier in the day and Amber Elmshadow was talking about this guy in DC Channel (lots of lulz to be had from this).

I honestly suspect that the Plaguefire thing was just sweaty tryhard rage...poor little baby GWF was frustrated that he is a n00b couldn't win. Instead of taking the time to assess the situation and teach other players on how to adjust the situation, he gave your friend the boot and used Plaguefire as an excuse.
You can't let yourself be held back by common sense.

Shadowblade

Post by Shadowblade »

Oh, like in CN? I've not been to ToNG yet. I've not even been to FBI. Too busy playing my Alts up to sub-Main, but I'm resurrecting my Dwarf DO and Tiefling AC as playing the other classes for about a year was a lot of fun, but it's time to put my DC hat back on.

Hopefully, j0Shi's guide will be ready by the time they get to Chult. The DO has a Trans Vorpal and high Crit/Power and the AC a Trans Feytouched with huge Recovery/Power, so if I meet that guy, I assume my enchants will be up to spec?

LOL! :D

Ah, remember the days when we'd stop and explain how to defeat the Aboleth in Epic Dread Vault? Now, some seem to want to stampede through everything on steroids and PCP with party chat off.

;)
:shock:
"It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a HAMSTER! man in possession of a good HAMSTER!, must be in want of a QUACK!"
Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen (1775–1817)

Good to see forum censorship never makes things look worse then they actually were to start with.

:roll: